Collaborate Board is an interactive discussion board that allows students to post text and images to a shared class board. It's a great way to spark class discussion, brainstorm, or check in on how students are feeling.
In this article, you'll learn how to:
- Teach with the Collaborate Board
- Add a Collaborate Board into your lesson
- Access Collaborate Board in a standalone activity
Teach with the Collaborate Board
When students arrive at a Collaborate Board during a lesson, they will be able to post text and/or images in response to your prompt. They'll see other student responses, and be able to "Like" responses that resonate with them by clicking the heart in the bottom corner of each post.
Live Participation Mode
When you reach Collaborate Board in your Live lesson, you will first be prompted to decide whether you approve each student comment before it is posted.
- If you select Yes, all responses will appear in the check box on the top right corner and will only be posted to the board if checked for approval by the teacher. The teacher can block unhelpful or inappropriate posts.
- If you select No, responses will appear in real-time on the board as they are posted by the student.
- You can choose to apply this to all of the Collaborate Boards during your current lesson.
As the teacher, you'll have the option to sort the board by the time, alphabetically, or by number of likes. The board can be shared by email, social and link. You can also share the class conversation via email, social networks, or a copied link.
Student Paced Lessons
If you are using a Collaborate Board in Student-Paced mode, you will need to Enable Collaborate Board for Student-Paced lessons feature on. You can manage this in your lesson settings, learn more here.
To moderate a Collaborate Board in a Student-Paced lesson, use the Student-Paced teacher dashboard. Once you are on the slide with the Collaborate Board, you can moderate in the same way you would during a Live Participation lesson.
Add a Collaborate Board into your lesson
1. While editing your lesson, select Add Slide
2. Choose Collaborate from the Activities tab
3. Choose the style of Collaborate Board by selecting an option at the bottom.
4. Enter the topic and a description of your board. These are the prompts that your students will see. You can also add a reference image to your Collaborate Board by clicking on the image icon in the left corner.
Are you a district admin?
As a school or district admin, you can disable student image search via Google Image Search for this feature for schools. If you are a district admin and want to turn it off district-wide please contact your Nearpod Customer Success Manager.
Directions to Disable
- Click on the manage district button on the left-hand navigation from "My Library".
- Click on the manage schools tab on the left-hand side.
- Click on edit next to the school where you want to manage this feature.
- Click the checkbox next to "Disable Student Image Search on Collab, DrawIt.
- Click "save".
* Note: this will disable the image search for both the Collaborate activity and DrawIt activity. Students will still be able to upload their own pictures from their device