The Draw It activity allows students to respond to a prompt with drawings, text, and images. You can upload a background image, or have students draw on a blank background.
In this article, you'll learn how to:
- Teach with the Draw It activity
- Add Draw It activity into your lessons
- Convert any Slide into a Draw It activity
Teach with the Draw It activity
When students reach a Draw It in a Nearpod lesson, they will select the pencil, highlighter, text box, images, or eraser from the Draw It Toolbar on the bottom and respond to the question being asked.
For more detailed instructions on how students can use the Draw It toolbar, read this article.
As the teacher, you can view progress in real-time for the entire class (this feature works when students and teachers are using Nearpod in a web browser, otherwise, you will see results when students submit):
- A yellow banner will appear as students are in progress.
- A green banner will appear as students submit the assignment as complete.
- Student work can be previewed and shared out to all student devices
Add a Draw It activity into your lesson
1. While editing your lesson, select Add Slide
2. Choose Draw It from the Activities tab
3. Type instructions for the activity. You can upload a background image for students to draw on by dragging it onto the center of your screen, or clicking the blue "Upload background image" button. If you do not upload a background image, students will draw on a blank, white screen.
4. You can add reference media and/or a timer to your activity. Once you're finished, click "Save"
Convert any slide into a Draw It activity
If you've already uploaded a slide that you want students to be able to write on, simply convert that slide to a Draw It activity.
1. Select any picture slide in your lesson and highlight orange.
2. Click the Convert to Draw It tab on the top right corner.
3. Choose if you want to keep a copy of the original slide. If you select "Yes," students will see a static version of the slide, followed by a Draw It. If you select "No," students will only see the Draw It version.
Are you a district admin?
As a school or district admin, you can disable student image search via Google Image Search for this feature for schools. If you are a district admin and want to turn it off district-wide please contact your Nearpod Customer Success Manager.
Directions to Disable
- Click on the manage district button on the left-hand navigation from "My Library".
- Click on the manage schools tab on the left-hand side.
- Click on edit next to the school where you want to manage this feature.
- Click the checkbox next to "Disable Student Image Search on Collab, DrawIt.
- Click "save".
* Note: this will disable the image search for both the Collaborate activity and DrawIt activity. Students will still be able to upload their own pictures from their device